Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Cholesterol madness
Recall that perviously my cholesterol picture was this:

Triglycerides: 250, with normal: 130-200
Cholesterol 284, with normal: 130-200
---HDL (high-density, the "good" cholesterol) 61, normal: 40-90
---LDL (low-density, the "bad" cholesterol) 181, normal: less than 100
---VLDL ("very low density?", very bad?) 42, normal: 0-42
The lab report also comes with a "CHD" number, a cardiac arrest risk ratio. Mine was 4.7 on a scale of 4.1-6.6

So then I stopped eating eggs, and about a month later got it tested again:

Triglycerides: 134, with normal: 130-200
Cholesterol 248, with normal: 130-200
---HDL (high-density, the "good" cholesterol) 55, normal: 40-90
---LDL (low-density, the "bad" cholesterol) 153, normal: less than 100
---VLDL ("very low density?", very bad?) 40, normal: 0-42

So the triglycerides came way down. And the good cholesterol came down while the bad cholesterol stayed up. And the because they do a division of bad by good, my cardiac risk factor has moved down slightly to 4.5 on a scale of 4.1-6.6, which is still in category of the "Average CHD Risk." As my doctor said, average for an American is not a place you want to be.

So what does this tell me? Not sure. But today for lunch I had two toaster waffles, three pork sausages, one egg, and an avocado-cheese-tomato sandwich. With plenty of mayo.

I am wiping my mouth with a clean sock.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com