Thursday, March 04, 2004

Neck and diaphragm

I went to the chiropractor today, who showed me a simple isometric exercise I can do to strengthen my neck. Basically you just hold your hands against the back of your head and push back for six seconds. Same with the front and sides. Duh, who didn't I think of that? Do this once in the morning and once at night. Increase the number of reps as you get stronger.

The ALS book has not (yet) indicated an exercise to strengthen the diaphragm. But the people at the clinic use FVC (forced vital capacity) -- your ability to blow hard -- as the prime measure of your ALS decline. So regardless of how inadvisable it is, I plan to try to develop some regimen to increase my FVC. I talked with the chiropractor, who concurred with me that taking a forced deep breath and then letting it out with some resistance might work. We shall see. Last time I was at 94 percent. Maybe I can get that up to 95?

I had a mild headache the last two mornings. I want to attribute it to use of ear buds. So today, no iPod and no news radio via ear buds.

I went to see the guys at work. We were going to go for a run, but wound up going out for Indian food. First impression: What a long commute! Amazing that I did this twice a day every weekday. Everything in my cube was exactly the same as when I left, even the sticky notes. The oldest and slowest computer was gone, though.

Good to see the guys.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com