Monday, October 18, 2004

Faster boy

In our house it is possible to walk in a continuous loop from one room to the other. Naturally the walls are at right angles, so it's not a circle, and some sharp turns are required. My son and I have always enjoyed playing chase on this course. I recall, when he was younger and I was less impaired, how easy it was to put on a burst of speed and catch him. And I wondered about when the day might come that he could out-chase me.

Today was that day. The sharp turns required give the advantage to the smaller person. But I used to be able to make that up on the straight parts. These days, my left knee doesn't extend quickly enough for a spint, so I am now unable to make up the difference. I tried my very best to chase him down, but he kept gaining on me. He almost caught me from behind. Part of this, of course, is that he is getting to be almost five and his running is improving.

Part of it is that I have ALS. I wonder if my wife can still catch him. I wonder if I could catch him on a straightaway. I think the answer to that is yes.

We walked to lunch and back, and a hundred yards or so from our house I challenged him to a race. I was able to catch and pass him with ease, several times. Maybe he was not running at his full speed, though.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com