Tuesday, March 01, 2005

P1: Allergy schmallergy


Upon learning about Operation Bolus, my lovely wife was concerned that I might develop an allergy to penicillin, and possibly by extension all beta-Lactam antibiotics. Someone in her family developed an allergy to penicillin. This would be bad if it happened to me, as I want to continue to use beta-Lactams to increase my GLT-1 expression. The neurologist didn't feel he had enough information to render an opinion on the issue, so I called the GP. He's on vacation, but his excellent partner doctor said that it's a rare thing, and people often take penicillin for a long time without becoming allergic. She said it's more often the case that you are already allergic, and much less common that exposure makes you allergic.

I decided to start taking the penicillin today rather than start on the 8th. Things are getting too slurry for me in the mouth region to wait any longer. I took three of the probiotics capsules last night as prep. Let's hope that keeps the concreting Evil One at bay. I credit the probiotics with keeping everything flowing normally during the use of the ceftriaxone. But then I took three capsules twice a day for the duration. This time I plan to scale it back to one capsule twice a day on the second day.


And that means we are at the end of my first ceftriaxone experience. I think it went well, and had surprising benefits, which, in my particular body, have persisted. Since the experiment is over and I'm moving on to the next one, I will cease using the "D+n" notation in my blog posts. Thanks, all, for watching this lab rat strut his stuff, and please wish me luck in the new round. We can consider today's metrics of left grip 50 pounds (47, 46, 50) and right grip of 96 pound (90, 96, 96) and inhale of 4550 mL to be the final results of the ceftriaxone experience, since I did today's metrics only about two and a half hours after taking the first penicillin.


I picked up the pills yesterday, 20 at 500 mg. At two per day that will last 10 days, not 20 as I had previously said. The uninsured cost would be $13.86. Nice and cheap. Even if I were on Medicare I could afford that. Now let's see if they work.

Oh, and here's the picture of me naked. My son drew it in while on the trip, then gave it to me as a gift when they got back. He proudly said, "Here's a picture of you naked, meeting us at the train station." Kids are weird.

I didn't know my butt was that big.

10;40 a.m.: I became so concerned by the combination of amanda's warning and a twinge I felt in my gut that I took two more probiotic capsules. We Shall See.

4:36 p.m.: Last night our daughter kept me up from 12:33 a.m. to 3:43 a.m. -- and my wife even longer. This afternoon I crashed into a nap at around 1:00 p.m., completely forgetting about my acupuncture appointment, and woke, in a bad way, at 2:41 p.m. when my daughter woke from her nap. I was on duty until about 3:33 p.m., and just felt hammered and groggy. I was nice to my son until his misbehavior annoyed me to the point that I roared at him. I went out, dug a weed in the front lawn, and came back and apologized to him.

I hope my being so completely out of tune is due to the sleep disruptions and not the penicillin. I have no other symptoms, like rash, swelling, itching, redness or shortness of breath.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com