Thursday, May 12, 2005

C3: Arabic


My lovely wife and I are interested in Learning Arabic, because it's a language neither of us know, and it's topical. It would be fun to toss around simple household phrases (e.g. "Hand me that sippy-cup, please"). I spoke to a Moslem friend of mine about what would be good learning resources, since the Koran is in Arabic, and I assumed that my buddy knew some Arabic. They have a principle that the only valid text is the original. Translations are not valid for worship. That Mohammed, he was no slouch. I also like the bit where he said I am the last prophet. And I also like the bit where he said he was just a man, not a god or a son of god. Anyway, my buddy said that the best way to learn Arabic is to get the Koran, and get a translation, and go though it line by line. That amused me. As all of you know, I am not going to sign up to any Abrahamic religion, but I thought that my buddy's advice was a very nice try. I think I'll get a book with a CD instead.

Right grip is 100 pounds (94, 100, 95), left leg balance is 6.67 seconds, and inhale volume is 4750 mL.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com