Thursday, May 05, 2005

Ka-ching! ... Ker-plunk!


On 4/13, the Social Security case worker told me it could take up to four months for SS to review my application, but by 4/30 I had received the check. At least in my local office, the people seemed bright and helpful. When I called the national number, they seemed dumb and confused. I had filed an incomplete application online who knows how many months ago. But then I started getting serious about making phone calls and providing paper forms and information in late January of this year. So after five months of 'being serious' about it, the check came.

Now I suppose that my LTD insurance company is going to want the entire amount of SS back payment given over to them. Their policy says they'll pay me over and above the amount of my SS disability benefit (...or any other income I get...) to match a given percentage of my working income.

I am also automatically eligible for Medicare. I chose to pay for part B, and that's being deducted from my SS check.

After I wrote the above, I checked my email and learned that someone I wrote with has apparently died of ALS. She wasn't as close as a 'friend,' but she was so damned determined to fight this disease and take public officials and hold their face in it and make them stop ignoring us and do something:

I am writing this to you on Dee's behalf, as we are deeply saddened to announce that she bravely succumbed in her fight with ALS last evening. She fought so hard, but has finally achieved the comfort and peace she so deserved and which has eluded her the past 18 months.

She wanted everyone to know how much it meant to her to have connected with each of you in some special way during her lifetime, and she wishes you good health and the ever-present love of your family and friends.

We are sorry that we will not be able to respond to most messages that may come into this e-mailbox going forward, but please know that we appreciate your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

I think the Namenda may indeed be helping suppress the lability, because I am not crying as much now over Dee as I think I would have before.

Left grip is 42 pounds (39, 40, 42), right grip is 94 pounds (92, 94, 88), left leg balance is 19.18 seconds, and inhale volume is 4700 mL.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com