Saturday, November 12, 2005

ESL Calculus teacher


I'll be out of town today and tomorrow, so I may not post.

I like language, and have always been good at it. Not foreign languages per se, just language in general. In college, there was a lot of complaining about teaching assistants from other countries who couldn't speak English very well. It never bothered me. I remember that in one Calculus class, I was enthralled by how barely intelligible the T.A.'s words were. It was like a puzzle to me, and I loved it, because I always managed to understand what he was saying just in the nick of time. I sat there loving it, thinking how lucky I was to have this entertaining comprehension challenge every day. The other students in the class hated it, and cursed the T.A. bitterly afterwards. This came as a surprise to me.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com