Sunday, January 08, 2006

Lateral



Gold Star Mom has a few things to say.

I went out to check the inspection point on our sewer lateral yesterday, because the downstairs toilet was not flushing. Sure enough, the line was full of water at the inspection point, so I called the city to have them come repair their sewer system. Ordinarily this lateral inspection is something you do by bending over with a screwdriver in one hand, and flipping the access point lid. But I am so weak and clumsy that I had to kneel down before I could flip the lid. I also apparently cannot stand up on my own anymore, without pulling on something like a bookcase, a table, or a Ford Taurus. My attempt to stand by planting the screwdriver in the sidewalk and using it to push off failed, and more than once I rolled onto the ground. It must have looked to any observers like a really drunk guy falling all over himself. After I crawled over to the Taurus and hiked up on it, I bowed in both directions up and down the street, just in case anyone was watching.

As if I didn't have enough projects that I'll never complete, today I started another work of fiction:

One and Out: The presidency of Al Gore, 2000-2004
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com