Thursday, February 09, 2006

Lesbian Pulp Fiction


I finally finished reading "Lesbian pulp fiction," a collection of sample chapters from various books published from 1950 to 1965. Despite one's expectation that each selection would feature hot girl-on-girl action, the sweaty grinding of sweet flesh, quite a few of the selections had no sex at all. My favorite of this subset was a chapter in which a young woman is trying very hard to become romantically involved with a man who is a jazz musician. She visits him at the jazz club where he is playing, and meets the owner, a striking woman in a silvery dress. The young woman then begins thinking exclusively about the owner -- not sexually, just absorbed by how interesting and funny and attractive she is. After an extended period of these reflections she finds herself getting into the musician's car, to go to his place. She recalls suddenly that she had been eager to tryst with him.

The first selection in the book was pure literature, and the last three were pretty literary as well. The selections in the middle were often hack work, stuff typed out on a deadline to make a buck. I guess the editors knew that a good beginning and a good ending can carry a mediocre middle.

The three-year-old girl has an ear infection and is on antibiotics. She woke up two hours early today and began raging and fussing. My loving wife, who is in practical terms the only one who keeps this family functioning, has a cold that is making her feel bad. The boy is also cranky. The greater sense of stability I recently reported departed by yesterday morning. After dropping my son off at school, while preparing to get back in my car, I had a slow-motion, comical fall that happened in stages. Three times I thought I had saved myself, but I wound up on the ground in some leaves and mud. It was only that night that I noticed a small swollen pained area on my left hip.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Navy ships are helping patrol the international waters off Yemen to try to recapture al Qaeda prison escapees if they try to flee by sea, the Pentagon said in a statement on Thursday.

Notice how the people who are shocked -- shocked! -- that someone leaked the illegal wiretap story, claiming that it let the bad guys know our methods (which would have been assumed anyway), are quite happy to announce operational details of a plan to catch bad guys?

The admirable Hooh Wife (Greta) has permitted one of my thoughts to appear in her blog! I see my post as an OPFOR for her largely pro-Bush audience. Hopefully, rebutting my post will make them better, stronger, more rational Republinoids. Or, they may just whip off their underpants and wave the surrender flag!

Left grip is 21 pounds (17, 21, 19), right grip is 70 pounds (65, 70, 65).
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com