Monday, April 10, 2006

Little pitchers


One time when I was less than six my father said something about the neighbors next door and down the hill, the ones with the pool that you could see through the fence and trees that separated us. What he said was unkind, resentful, maybe a ittle angry. I do not remember the exact words, but let's assume it was "Those people are just rich show-offs."

The next day I stood at the fence looking down through the trees at the swimming pool of the rich show-offs. I grabbed some dirt clods and heaved them over the fence into the pool of those rich show offs. I got several in there. Then I went about the rest of my day.

The next day, or perhaps that very afternoon, this lady showed up at our house. She was the lady from next door. She and my mother were not upset but they both wanted to know why I had thrown the dirt clods. They might have been a little amused. I said it was because they were rich show-offs.

It struck both the ladies that these were not my own words. Oh my. The conversation ended and the lady went home.

I seem to recall, but I am not sure about this, some kind of hushed conversation when my father came home about the fact that little pitchers have big ears.

Left grip is 24 pounds (24, 23, 21), right grip is 70 pounds (70, 64, 67).

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com