Tuesday, June 20, 2006

You can check out any time you like



Android,

In high school there were songs that I liked, that I think most people liked. I liked them with a certain sense of shame, because I knew that they were either bubble-gum songs, or shallow. But I liked them (without admitting it, of course). Officially I liked Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (with a slight sense of embarrassment that these were '60s groups. But music in the late '70s and early '80s was so BAD -- there was no other option!).

But certain big hits by Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka, and other fluff buttons were fun. Fun!

You mercilessly condemned these songs. I kept my mouth shut. "OK, don't admit that you like that one. Sure, his criticisms are valid, true even. But the song is fun!"

I remember when you ridiculed "Hotel California." We were walking South past some brick planter on the East side of campus, near the half-circle driveway. You said among other things that the "Mercedes Benz-uh" was the most stupid "uh" of all time. I thought: "OK, there's another one I can't admit enjoying..."

However, I must say that, having listened to this song yet again, I am required to tell you that the "uh!" is more of a sexual grunt, as in "unh!" And there is a very slight pause between "Benz" and "unh!" It is, I am very sure, a comment on the Benz rather than a suffix of the word.

Don't know if that changes your thinking at all, but I couldn't any longer endure these years of living a lie.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com