Saturday, September 30, 2006

Oster




Let us praise Oster.

Back in the '80s, my gf and I lived together, and when we broke up, I got the blender. It was one of these old 1960s versions that her mom had given her when she went out in the world.

She wound up with my records, and sold every one of them.

I used the reliable blender until I married, and then our family used it. Last week my darling wife accidentally broke the glass blender container. She went to the local hardware store and got a new one, shown here, presto!

One should admire a company that still makes the same part 30 years later, that will fit and work with your existing parts.

Contrast this with the approach of Ziploc. They also make a line of small plastic containers for storing leftovers in the fridge. If you lose or damage a couple, and buy more a year later, you find out that they've changed the dimensions slightly, so that your old and new lids and bottoms are not interchangeable. They do this on purpose because if you want uniform behavior from your storage containers, you must buy a whole new set.

Oster has kept the same dimensions for decades. After 30 years of use, the old blender is starting to make a smoke smell. When we buy a new on, my vote will be Oster.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com