Tuesday, January 02, 2007

All clear in the colon. Dresden lies in flames.

When I was in high school in the late '70s, I loved The Rolling Stones -- but as the British Invasion group. You know: 'Satisfaction.' But when I was in high school, the Stones came out with all this 'Black' music. Never mind that we now know that these categories are as dubious as the supposed 'races,' I'm telling a story about me then. Rolling around the dial, I had encountered what I considered Black music -- mostly Soul. What a waste of effort, I thought: It was way over the top. Oily voices, wailing, too slow and relaxed ... passionate, but without good cause. Imagine my disappointment when the Stones became a backup to Jagger acting Black. First time I heard the song 'Slave' (truly great Rock n' Roll), I grew impatient and changed the station because they were just noodling around slowly while Jagger put on his act. I soon learned that the song was tight, very tight. But I thought you should know my shame.
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com