Wednesday, May 30, 2007



when i was a kid, golda was on tv a lot, and i thought she looked exactly like my grandmother, who was an arab. i liked the idea of my grandmother running a country, and in my mind the two people became one.

my grandmother was a forceful woman with a strong sense of humor. golda once said to a general or great zionist something i consider hilarious: "Don't be so humble; you're not that great."

when the yom kippur war happened in 1973, i knew that a country we supported was at war. i wanted to cheer our side like at a sporting event. my father tried to explain the dangers of superpower engagement, but i was 404. one day we were watching on tv some egyptian and isreali tanks filmed at long range in the desert. i wanted them to fight, but no such luck. 'i hope our guys win!' i said. my mother said 'we hope no one wins.'
|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com